Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pre-Trip Post!

This Thursday marks the beginning of our trips, and the day has come so quickly! We've been preparing for months and cannot wait to finally put everything into motion! Since April when we found out we would be co-leaders after going on an AFB trip together last year to North Carolina surrounding the issue of food security, we have been so excited for this day!

After over 100 applications, countless phone calls and many meetings, we are so excited to finally put it all together in Asheville, NC! We've had lots of great pre-trip meetings and even got together for burger night at Copper Cellar to have a pre-trip dinner. Our participants found out we were going to Asheville, NC by popping balloons with a letter matching a food item that corresponded to each letter in Asheville, NC. We can't wait to go see all of the wonderful things Asheville has to offer! We are so excited to get to work with the many organizations addressing hunger and food security in the area.

Keep up with us on our blog to find out more about our service sites, learning experiences, and impact with working with hunger and food security!


Leader spotlight:

Lexi Steinhaus
Junior studying business
from Milwaukee, WI
favorite activity- running
random fact-I'm obsessed with dogs
favorite food-ALL THINGS MEXICAN

Hi there! I'm Lexi and I cannot wait to have the opportunity to experience an alternative break trip again, but this time as a leader! I remember not knowing exactly what to expect last year when I went on a trip and realizing afterwards what a great experience it truly is. Immediately after, I knew I wanted to be able to share this experience with other students. I love working with our theme because I think food is a basic need everyone should have access to and that affects all aspects of a person's quality of life.



Zachary Wallace
Senior studying Nutrition
from Memphis, TN
favorite activity- reading, running, eating
fun fact- I ate a whole watermelon by myself in one sitting.
favorite food- I love a hearty vegetable soup.

Hello, everybody! As you can see in the quick get-to-know-me right above this text, I am a senior majoring in Nutrition. I want to pursue a degree in public health after graduation. Eventually, I would love to work with infectious diseases prevalent in underserved communities. I was driven to lead a trip because AFB holds a special place in my heart. Nothing compares to it. There will be lots of laughs and good times had on our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment